Thursday, July 14, 2011

Only Two More Days

And I think that's about all we can handle, as we're really worn out. Peter is very tired and I'm right behind him. I also think I've lost track of what we did on what day so some of this may be out of order. I' m writing this on Bastille Day as we're getting ready to go out and see what is going on. We watched the parade on TV as I read that was the best way to really see it. Heard the planes go over and, at times, it sounded like they were barely above the building.
On Tuesday, Peter & I wandered around Les Halles, shopping and just roaming. Greer & Ant slept in late and then roamed some of the same area and we met back at the apt to go to dinner. (They think the right bank is seedier than the left). We went into St Eustache, which remains my favorite church in Paris. A young man was playing the organ the entire time we were there and it seems like there is often music in that church. We stopped for a kir at Taverne Karlsbrau after I went into Dehilleran, the largest cooking supply store In Paris (and maybe the world) and the one all the chefs go to for their supplies. It was amazing and I've never seen such a production made for a simple purchase. I think there were 5 people involved, often yelling at each other, looking up prices in a huge book, filling out the sales book, then typing out the order at which point I was able to pay for it and then return to where the order was written up to have it wrapped and take possession. It took over 45 minutes to buy just a few small items. I was standing in line behind a young girl (American) who just finished cooking school and was about to start her internship at a restaurant in the 13th arrondissment. She was buying a knife case and looking forward to learning a lot, but not looking forward to how tired she will be all the time--the life of a chef requires long hours on your feet so you must be passionate about food. We went to Le Latin St. Jacques for dinner where I had onion soup, tagliatelle with mussels & octopus and chocolate and caramel ice cream. Peter had the rum steak with salad & fries. It was served on a hot stone so he cooked it himself, much like teppin. For dessert, he had the strawberry & citrus sorbet. Greer had the salad with warm goat cheese, a steak and cheese plate for dessert. Ant had onion soup and the chicken and duck breast on the hot stone and sorbet for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment