Friday, August 5, 2011

Forgotten Days

I've been working on editing my posts as I discovered so many mistakes, many due to my not yet being used to the ipad, but also missing words, misspellings etc so, I thought I'd clean it up.  In doing that, I discovered a couple of missing days - July 4th, (a rather important one) and July 7th -the day Sharon & Gary left, so I'm filling in the holes.
July 4th -   I started at the boulangerie as usual and then we took the RER to the Pantheon.  When we were there before and went into the crypt, Peter stared to choke (dampness, mildew?) so we had to leave and I didn't get to see all of the tombs I wanted to plus Sharon & Gary had never been there.  We also wanted to see the church of St-Etienne, which is right next door, and has the steps from "Midnight in Paris".  We wandered all through the Pantheon (a spectacular building but not quite like the one in Rome, which is my favorite building of all time).  Then I went into the crypt to visit the tombs of Victor Hugo, Voltaire, Dumas, Rosseau & Emile Zola.  One more thing checked off my list.  Found a nice little Italian cafe right around the corner -Campannina - so we had lunch there.  I had a salad composed of lettuce, corn, tomato, tuna, hard boiled egg, cucumber & artichoke with a beer.  Peter had a Pizza Margharita (his favorite).  We then walked home via the grocery store & after resting took the RER to see the Eiffel Tower at night and ride the Bateau Parisiens.    Not thrilled with the boat as it was a covered boat (not conducive to picture taking), packed with people and too dark to take any good pictures.  Made a note to take Greer & Anthony on the boat that leaves from the Pont Neuf, even though we received free tickets with our museum passes for this one.  It was fun to see the Eiffle Tower up close at night and it does look beautiful!  Took the train back home and sat in the apartment and drank some wine.

July 7th - After seeing Sharon & Gary off, we loafed around the apartment and then went over to St-Germaine.  Went into St. Nicholas Chardonnet church, which was stunning and filled with gorgeous crystal chandeliers.  Stopped at Eric Kayser Patisserie for some pastries, a ham sandwich and a baguette and went back to the apartment to relax.  Then walked over to Shakespeare & Company, a famous bookstore, where the daughter "love child" of Allen Ginsberg & Gertrude Stein was doing a poetry reading.  Crossed to the right bank & had a kir (& people & traffic watched) at Bistrot Marguerite (at the Pont d'Arcole).  Got a salted butter caramel crepe on the way back home.  Went to bed at 10 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment